Sunday, October 2, 2011

Autumn pretzel bread and rolls

...This may be the most dangerous recipe I have ever made.  I mean it.



Last winter, Mandy and I were spending an evening on the town, and Mandy ordered a sandwich at a local Irish pub.  After sampling our appetizers, the waiter emerged carrying something I like to refer to as "heaven on a plate."  It was a simple hot ham and cheese sandwich, but served on a wonderful baked good, known as pretzel bread.  The crust was flaky, crunchy, and salty like a good bavarian pretzel, whilst the inside was fluffy, soft and tender, like a loaf of homemade bread.

After spending all summer looking for a store that sold this delectable bakery item.  Much to our disappointment, no such luck at the search.  This weekend, after searching recipes and some (much) experimenting, I baked a few buns and a loaf of delicious, homemade from scratch pretzel bread for Mandy, just in time for all the tastes and flavors of fall.

Author's note:  Did I mention I have never made bread before?






I began by whisking the yeast, warm water, milk, butter, and brown sugar together.  Be prepared, there's a lot of mixing-resting-mixing-resting involved (for those of you who have never made bread).  I actually substituted margarine for butter, and also used dark brown sugar.  Light brown will work, but I wanted a hint more of the molasses flavor.


After activating the yeast, I added kosher salt and began stirring in the flour.  At this point the dough will become very heavy, to the point in fact that my mixer had trouble stirring the mix.  The dough became tacky, but not too sticky.  After the dough was well mixed, I removed it long enough to oil the bowl and replace the dough.


Using a damp towel, I covered the dough and let rise for 45 minutes.  During this time, I could hardly contain myself in anticipation of the fine sandwiches in my near future!  After the minor interruption, I placed the dough hook on my mixer and kneaded the dough for about seven minutes.  The dough should become smooth and elastic in this process.



At this point, recover the bowl and let it rest for about an hour.  This time around, I had some supervision from Phoebe as to my process of cooking.


As my dough neared the end of rising, I boiled a pot full of water to rolling.  After boiling, I added baking soda to create a soda bath for my doughy little friend.


I made a dough mat with flour on the counter, and began to knead and shape the loaves.  I opted for a braid, to add some aesthetic value, but feel free to go as simple or as complicated as you feel comfortable.  After shaping the loaves, soak in the soda bath for no more than 30 seconds, turning once to ensure coverage.


After the bath, I placed the loaves on a greased baking sheet.  Crack an egg and make a simple egg wash.  Then baste the top of the loave with egg and top with kosher salt to your desiring.  Bake at 400̊ F for 22 minutes.  Place on a baking rack and enjoy!


Oktoberfest Pretzel Bread

2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 C warm water (95-100̊ F) plus additional for soda bath
2 Tbsp room temperature milk
3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp coarse ground kosher salt plus additional for topping (optional)
3 C bread flour (not self-rising) plus additional for dough mat
1/2 C baking soda

In large mixing bowl, add yeast and warm water, whisk together, and rest to allow time for yeast to activate for seven minutes.  Then whisk in milk, brown sugar, and butter until well blended.  Rest for another ten minutes.

With mixer, slowly stir in kosher salt and flour.  After mixing, oil bowl then cover dough and bowl with warm damp towel and let rest for 45 minutes.

After rising, knead dough by hand or machine for 5-10 minutes.  Replace cover and rest for one hour.

Preheat oven to 400 and place water in pot to boil.  After boiling, very slowly add baking soda to water and stir well.  Take dough and place on floured dough mat, shape to liking.  Carefully place loaf in soda bath for no more than 30 seconds, turning once for complete coverage.  Drain excess water and place on greased baking sheet.

Cut tops if desired, and baste with egg wash.  Sprinkle on kosher salt to your liking, and bake for 22 minutes.  Remove from oven and place on baker's rack.

Yeilds two small loaves or one large loaf (I made a double batch as pictured above).

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I am new to stand mixers....do you mix with the paddle and the switch to the hook?

    ReplyDelete