Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Southern Fried Grits

Yesterday evening, Mandy asked if I would fix her breakfast in the morning while she prepares for work.  Of course, I'm obligated.

As I scan my repertoire of recipes,  I recall a wonderful breakfast I used to eat at my "Nana and Grandad's",  fried grits.  Being raised during the Great Depression, they were both taught how to cook using minimal supplies and make the food last as long as possible, sometimes without electricity.


Now, I know what many of you are thinking, "I [hate/despise/loathe/hold a general dislike for] grits."  In Missouri, most everyone I know has tried grits before, and very few like them.  As a child growing up in rural southwest Missouri, I agreed (granted, my tastes have changed since).  However, fried grits were something completely else.  I could devour these crispy bits of buttery, salty goodness faster than my grandmother could fry them.

My nana, now in her late 70's, rarely, if ever, fries grits.  However, yesterday I gave her a call to get the recipe.  Quite possibly one of the easiest recipes there are, especially with ...umm... advances in "modern technology".

Fried grits are unlike any other food, and very hard to describe.  Cooked the way I recall, they are these little patties of salty, simply amazing crispy brown crust on the outside with a bit of a gritty texture, and a spectacular buttery soft inside.  They could only be described as fried goodness.


Southern Fried Grits
 
What you will need:
1 C  instant grits (yes, I cheat)  :)
4 C water
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter or magarine
1 C flour

Mix the water, salt, and grits according the the microwave instructions on the package of grits, and microwave the mix (or, you can go the old-fashioned route and cook the stovetop, once again, following the directions on the package).

Once the grits have cooked and thickened, stir in the butter and allow it to melt through.  Once cooled, pour the grits into drinking glasses, reserving a bowl for now if you want!  Place the glasses in the refrigerator and allow to chill for at least 2-3 hours (I usually cool overnight).  The grits will thicken significantly.

When you're ready to fry, take the glass (or glasses) and remove the "loaf" of grits.  Using about 1/2" slices, cut the grits into as many patties as you wish to fry at the time.  Don't slice off more than you can eat, cold fried grits are not a pleasant experience.

Heat a frying pan either coated with oil or pan spray (I prefer the latter) over medium-high to high heat.  Take the grit patties and coat each with an ample coating of flour and place patties in the frying pan.

Fry for 3-5 minutes until golden brown, flipping once.  Remove from pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate.  Sprinkle with additional salt if desired and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment